Thursday, December 24

Grim reality of life in the Norfolk countryside

To the farm shop, to collect the turkey we have ordered.

Conversation with farm shop man underlined the grim reality of life and death in the Norfolk countryside.

"Hello farm shop man - I've come to collect one of your finest turkeys which I ordered a couple of weeks back."

"You're a bit early sir - any chance you could come back in a couple of hours' time, after two ideally..."

"A bit early farm shop man - it's Christmas Eve I'll have you know."

"I know sir, but I'm afraid the last few dozen are still running around out the back because we've been too busy to, er, prepare them."

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. Turky is like game it should be hung for a few days to bring out the flavour.
    Just after we were married my late mother gave us a turkey at Christmas. I must say to us it smelt a bit high. We could afford no other so decided to cook it and see what it was like. It was the best turkey we have ever eaten.

    ReplyDelete